Rooting gives you a full, privileged control in your device and allows to make modifications in OS system core. But if you’re here, you probably already know all the advantages of tutorial given below.
Warning: This tutorial is only for Nexus 5 model. The steps written below won’t erase device internal storage, but it’s still recommended to backup your data to device microSD card or PC before starting this tutorial.
• Bootloader must be unlocked. Follow this tutorial to make it happen.
• ADB drivers must be installed on PC. If you’ve completed our bootloader unlock tutorial, then ADB drivers are already installed in your PC so you can skip this step.
• USB Debugging and OEM unlock must be enabled on the device. To enable it go to Settings/About phone/Software information and keep taping on Build number until you see Developer mode has been turned on. After that go to Settings/ Options and check both, USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
TWRP install tutorial:
- Using PC download TWRP 3.0 recovery.img file and rename it to twrp.img
- Place twrp.img file to ADB drivers folder.
- On PC open cmd window: holding shift key, right click on empty space in folder where twrp.img file is placed and choose Open command window here.
- Connect Nexus 5 to PC via USB cable and select MTP mode.
- Open a cmd window on your computer and type:
You should get a message saying List of devices attached. This confirms that device is properly connected.
- Next reboot your Nexus 5 into bootloader mode by typing this command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- After recovery flashing is complete, type adb reboot recovery and hit enter to reboot Nexus 5 into TWRP recovery.
- On your Nexus 5, download ElementalX kernel and SuperSU 2.52.
- Once you’ve downloaded both files, reboot Nexus 5 into bootloader mode again: Turn it off, press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously until recovery screen shows up.
- Now, use the volume buttons to highlight Recovery and press Power to enter TWRP.
- In recovery menu tap on Install and look for N5-ElementalX-6.0.zip file.
- Tap on it and swipe to flash.
- After flashing is complete, go back to recovery menu.
- Repeat 4 and 5 steps to install SuperSU v2.52.zip file.
- After flash is complete tap on Reboot and choose System.
- Phone will reboot and you should find SuperSU app on the screen.
You now have TWRP recovery installed and your device is rooted.
Follow these steps anytime you want to get into TWRP recovery: Turn off the device, push and hold Power + Volume down buttons at the same time until TWRP logo appear on the screen.
That’s it! Enjoy your TWRP recovery and superuser privileges on Nexus 5 device.