Suitable custom recovery and root tool was released not long after Nexus 6P showed up at smartphones market. Thanks to that, now every user after following our tutorial, will be free to modify Nexus 6P for his own needs.
This TWRP install and Root tutorial is compatible with all Nexus 6P models running Marshmallow 6.0
• Nexus bootloader must be unlocked. This tutorial shows how to do it.
• Device should have at least 60% charge left on the battery.
• USB Debugging and OEM unlock must be enabled. Go to Settings/About/Software Information/More and keep tapping on Build number until you see that Developer options was enabled. Then go to Settings/Developer Options and check both, USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
• Skip driver installation if you have used our bootloader unlock tutorial. If not, then adb drivers must be installed on PC. It’s recommended to restart your PC after installation is complete.
- Turn off the Nexus and boot into fastboot mode: hold down the Power and Volume Down buttons at the same time until fastboot screen show up.
- Download to PC twrp-3.0.2-0-angler.img file and rename it to twrp.img
- On PC open cmd window: holding shift key, right click on empty space in folder where twrp.img file is placed and choose Open command window here.
- On cmd window type fastboot devices then press enter.
- You should get a serial number approving that device is properly connected into fastboot mode. If not, try to connect cable to another PC USB port or reinstall the drivers.
- Next type fastboot flash recovery twrp.img and hit enter.
- TWRP recovery will now be installed on your Nexus.
- After installation is complete, type fastboot reboot to reboot Nexus.
- You can boot to TWRP recovery by turning off the device and booting into fastboot mode, as you’ve done in step 1. Then press the Volume down button twice so that Recovery Mode appears on screen. Push the Power button to confirm.
- Download SuperSU.zip file straight to mobile device.
- Boot Nexus into TWRP recovery by following 9th step written above.
- In recovery menu tap on Install and look for superuser.zip file.
- Tap on it and swipe to flash.
- After flash is complete tap on Reboot and choose System.
- Phone will reboot and you should find SuperSU app on the screen.