Xiaomi device will end up with error if you’re flashing global ROM on locked bootloader. That’s why it’s very important to have it unlocked so you can manually update your Redmi 5 Plus into global ROM.
Before you begin, keep in mind that after successful registration for bootloader unlock, Xiaomi sets you up with a wait time up to 360 hours. There is currently no way around this and you have to sit it out.
- Enable “Developer options” on your device by tapping few times on MIUI version.
- Go to “Developer options” and enable “OEM Unlocking”, then go to “Mi Unlock Status” and tap on “Add account and device”. Sign in to your Xiaomi account or visit Xiaomi website and sign up if you don’t have one.
- Download and install the latest version of MiFlashUnlock from this page and install it on your PC.
- Install MiFlashUnlock, open it and press “Agree” button, then sign into your Mi-account (same that has been added to device on step 2.)
- Turn off your phone completely and start it in fastboot mode. Press and hold “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons at the same time until fastboot logo appear on the screen.
- Connect your phone to PC in fastboot mode and press “Unlock” button.
- If you did everything right, notification about 360 hours waiting time will show up on PC screen.
Follow second part of tutorial only if 15 days (360 hours) waiting time have passed.
- Using PC download latest Vince Global ROM v.126.96.36.199 and extract it.
- Download Xiaomi Flash Tool into PC and install it.
- Launch Xiaomi Flash Tool.
- Take off Redmi 5 Plus back cover as shown in this video.
- Unplug battery cable marked in circle red on the right and take a good look at two test points marked on the left.
- Now start Xiaomi Flash Tool and use a sharp pointed angle tweezer to short the test points firmly. Keep touching them while connecting Redmi 5 Plus via USB cable to PC.
Check this video if you’re still wondering how to do it.
- If everything is done right, refresh Flash Tool and COM10 port should appear.
- Click on select and choose China ROM folder.
- Click flash to begin flashing process.
- After process is done, disconnect Redmi from PC and connect battery cable back to its place, then power up your device.
Congratulations! Your Redmi 5 Plus is now running latest Vince Global ROM.
First boot might take up to 15 minutes, so be patient and do not interrupt the process.