Viber is one of the most popular messaging app that has evolved quite a bit since it was launched in 2010. For today, Viber doesn’t just have the usual features as any messaging app, it takes it even further with the stickers, emoticons and locations that allows users to have more functions as never before. Currently, there are more than 200 million Viber users located in over 193 countries. 200 million people have to be on to something, right?
We’ve put together 10 Viber app tips and tricks just to make you become a power user in no time.
By default, you keep on receiving every single notification sent by your friend, even if that person sent them consecutively. Sometimes can you find that annoying or distracting. Turning on the Smart Notifications feature will let Viber combine those messages into one notification instead. To do that follow these steps:
- Enter the chat where you want to enable smart notifications and swipe to the left.
- Tap on Smart Notifications to enable it.
Quick switch between conversations
Instead of going to the app’s main page every single time you want to switch chat rooms, there’s a easier and quicker way to do that.
- Enter any chat and swipe to the right of your device screen.
- It’ll bring all your active chat rooms and you can easily switch to a different chat room by tapping on your friend/group chat name.
Block and unblock contact numbers
If there’s a person on Viber that you don’t want to get in contacting with, there’s an option to him to the block list. Contacts that are in your block list will not be able to have a conversation with your or call you using Viber. To block and unblock your mobile contact, follow these steps:
Block contact number:
- Enter the conversation screen between you and the person that you want to block, swipe to the left and tap on the Navicon at the top right.
- Select Block to block that person.
Unblock contact number:
- Go to main menu and tap on the navicon at the bottom.
- Choose Settings/Privacy/Block List.
- Tap on Unblock beside the Phone Number/Contact Name.
Hide Seen and Online status
There are moments when you don’t really want people to know when you are Online or have you Seen their message. Features shown below will give you a little bit more privacy.
Hiding Seen status:
Hiding Online status:
Note: This feature can only be turned on/off once every 24 hours.
Hide a single or group chat from your Viber chats screen so that only you can access it with your secret PIN. When you open your chats screen, hidden chats will not be displayed.
- Open the Chats screen.
- Click on the chat you wish to hid.
- Click on the Viber user’s name.
- Select Chat Info & Settings or just swipe your screen to the left.
- Select Hide this chat and set the 4-digit secret PIN.
- Open the Chats screen
- Click on the chat you wish to hide
- Click on the Viber user’s name
- Click on the 3 dots button up right
- Select Chat Info
- Select Hide this chat and set the 4-digit secret PIN.
Hiding a chat from your Viber Chats screen:
- Open Chats tab.
- iOS devices: Swipe the chat to the left and click Hide
- Android devices: Long hold on the chat and click Hide Chat
There are cases when you want to make sure you don’t receive any notifications from Viber, especially when you’re at important meeting. For this reason, Viber has a notifications section where users can enable or disable different notification features for their own need. To know where to look for, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and tap on Notifications.
- Here you can turn off every notification related feature, such as Show message preview, Contact Joined Viber, New Message Popup, and Light screen for messages.
Alternatively, you can also turn off Viber notification by going to the phone Settings/Apps/Viber and untick Show notifications.
Delete single messages in a conversation
If you don’t want a certain messages to be seen in a conversation, you can simply erased them from the chat. You should know that whatever messages you’ve deleted will only be removed on your device and it will remain on your friend’s device. Here’s how to do it:
- Enter any chat and look for the messages that you want to delete.
- Tap and hold on the message, then choose Delete.
You can also tap on the navicon and choose Edit Messages.
Then tick on the messages that you want to delete and tap on the bin icon at the bottom right.
Change WiFi usage
By default, Viber will always keep WiFi active on your device to prevent you from going offline. If you prefer it to follow the default sleep policy your device, then follow these steps to change the WiFi usage:
- Tap on the navicon and go to Settings/General and then tap on Wi-Fi sleep policy.
- Next, tap on Use device’s settings.
Doodle on any photo
Viber has another cool feature that lets users doodle on any photo that is available on the device. Whether it’s received from your friends on Viber or if it’s a picture taken with your smartphone camera, you can still use the Viber Doodle feature following these steps:
- Tap on any photos that you received on Viber app, and tap on the navicon then choose Doodle on this photo.
- You can have fun with brush options, eraser, colors or change to a different photo in the Doodle editor.
- Once you’re done, tap on SEND to send your doodle to any of your Viber contacts.
Access conversation gallery
It’s hard to find the current photo you’re looking for without going through your chat history. Especially when you have plenty of them shared with your friends on Viber. That’s where Conversation Gallery feature comes in. It lets you specifically go through the photos and videos shared between you and your friends. To access the Conversations Gallery, follow these steps: