One year have passed since Huawei P8 was released. At that time, it was considered as one of the best smartphones in the market. And it was just about time to repeat the history by launching the second series flagman called Huawei P9.
From the first sight device is being excluded by a solid and sustainable design. Whole unibody is made form a thin brushed aluminum metal with chamfered edges. This delivers a luxury phone feeling while holding it in a hand.
Backside includes two main cameras contained within black band and “Leica” mark on the right side. It’s evident that Huawei made a partnership with legendary German camera manufacturer “Leica”, which promises even better photography experience. Dual flash fitted in the center at the top and the fingerprint scanner can be found just right below it.
Display seems bright enough and works well when using outdoors on a sunny day. Screen bezels are just 1.7mm thick they almost give an edge to edge feel. In the Settings menu there’s an option to set the color temperature of the display, if you feel a need for personal customization.
The bottom edge features a single surprisingly loud speaker, which is next to Type-C USB port and 3.5mm audio jack.
On the software side, Huawei P9 runs stock Android Marshmallow 6.0 which comes along with Huawei’s Emotion UI 4.1 version. General look and feel seems a bit different to stock Marshmallow because of square icons, desktop style folders and redesigned settings menu. Emotion UI 4.1 also adds additional features for the device, that you won’t get with stock Marshmallow including motion gestures, floating dock, voice wake up and Huawei’s own “do not disturb” mode.
Generally, it’s a high quality made mobile device which feels premium in your hand. But in today’s mobile market, you can definitely find something cheaper with similar specifications and design materials. So the price requires a good consideration before buying it.
Huawei P9 available in Europe for €599.
2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900;
3G HSDPA 800/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100;
4G LTE 700/800/850/900/1800/2100/2300/2600;
• Dimensions: 145 x 70.9 x 7mm, weight 144g
• 5.2 inches IPS-NEO 16M colors LCD with 1920×1080 resolution and 423 pixel density
• Processor: Cortex-A72 quad-core 2.5 GHz + Cortex-A53 quad-core 1.8 GHz with HiSilicon Kirin 955 chipset
• 3/4GB RAM
• 32/64GB internal memory
• MicroSD card support up to 128GB (uses SIM 2 slot)
• Dual 12MP rear camera with Leica optics, autofocus, face detection, dual LED flash, HDR mode;
Video recording at 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps and 720p@120fps
• Front camera 8MP with autofocus, video recording at 1080p@30fps
• Dual-band WiFi
• Bluetooth v4.2
• Android Marshmallow 6.0 OS
• Single SIM & Dual SIM models available
• Sensors: Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, brightness sensor;
• Non-removable Li-Ion 3000mAh battery with quick charge feature using Type-C USB cable
• Available colors: ceramic white, haze gold, rose gold, titanium grey, mystic silver, prestige gold