The European LG G5 H850 can be officially unlocked through LG’s developer unlock page. Yes, only the European version. Your H850 is from the Middle East? Won’t work. You have an AT&T G5? That’s not an H850, move along.
Warning: This tutorial is only for LG G5 H850 model. The steps written below won’t erase device internal storage, but it’s still recommended to backup your data to device microSD card or PC before starting this tutorial.
• Bootloader must be unlocked. Follow this tutorial to make it happen.
• If you are using LG PC Suite program on PC it should be completely turned off to not disturb all the process.
• USB drivers must be installed on PC (if LG PC Suite software are in PC then drivers are already installed).
• USB Debugging and OEM unlock must be enabled on the device. To enable it go to Settings/About phone/Software information and keep taping on Build number until you see Developer mode has been turned on. After that go to Settings/ Options and check both, USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
- Using LG download SuperSU v2.78 file.
- Using PC download TWRP 126.96.36.199 recovery.img file and rename it to twrp.img
- Place twrp.img file to LG USB drivers folder. If you have LG PC Suite installed, they can be found in software folder.
- On PC open cmd window: holding shift key, right click on empty space in folder where twrp.img file is placed and choose Open command window here.
- Connect LG G5 to PC via USB cable and select MTP mode.
- Open a cmd window on your computer and type:
You should get a message saying List of devices attached. This confirms that device is properly connected.
- Next reboot your LG into bootloader mode by typing this command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Next, type the following command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-h815.img
- After recovery flashing is complete, type adb reboot recovery and hit enter to reboot LG into TWRP recovery.
- In recovery menu tap on Install and look for SuperSU v2.78 file.
- Tap on it and swipe to flash.
- After flash is complete tap on Reboot and choose Recovery. This step is important for TWRP to stay, so you must first boot directly into TWRP and not back into Android. Otherwise you may loose flashed TWRP recovery menu.
- Phone will reboot back into TWRP recovery.
- Now, tap on Reboot and choose System.
- Phone will reboot and you should find SuperSU app on the screen.
You now have TWRP recovery installed and your device is rooted.
Follow these steps anytime you want to get into TWRP recovery: Turn off the device, push and hold Power + Volume down buttons at the same time. When LG logo show up, keep holding Volume down button and repeatedly press Power button until TWRP logo appear on the screen.
That’s it! Enjoy your superuser privileges on LG G5 device.