• Assisted GPS – (GPS works, but AGPS does not). All other features works as it should.
Update process will erase device internal storage, so it’s strongly recommended to backup your data to device microSD card or PC before starting this tutorial.
• HTC must have TWRP recovery installed and device must be rooted. Follow this tutorial to do it.
• Device should have at least 60% charge left on the battery.
• USB Debugging must be enabled. Go to Settings/About/Software Information/More and keep tapping on Build number until you see that Developer options was enabled. Then go to Settings/Developer Options and check USB Debugging.
- Download Android Nougat 7.1 (CM14.1) custom ROM zip file to PC or straight to mobile device.
- Download Google Apps package to PC or straight to mobile device.
- Place both files into device microSD card storage.
- Now boot HTC One M8 into recovery: Turn off the device, then press and hold Volume Up + Power + Home button until recovery menu show up.
- Make a current software backup, so you will have a recovery file in case if something goes wrong. Tap on Backup and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot and Cache. Then swipe to make a backup.
- After backup is done, go back to main menu and select Wipe, then choose Advanced Wipe and check System, Data, Cache and Dalvik Cache partitions.
- Swipe and wait for the wiping process to complete.
- Next, go back to main menu and choose Install, then locate Android Nougat 7.1 (CM14.1) custom ROM zip file.
- Tap on it and swipe to begin custom ROM installation process.
- After installation is done, go back to main menu, choose Install and locate the Google Apps.zip file. Swipe to install it.
- After process is complete, go back to main menu and tap on Wipe, then choose Advanced Wipe.
- Check Cache and Dalvik Cache partitions, then swipe to confirm. After wiping is done, go back to main menu ant tap on Reboot to reboot HTC One M8.
- First startup can take up to 15 minutes, so be patient.
Congratulations on successfully updating HTC One M8 to Nougat 7.1 custom ROM!