This TWRP flash and Root tutorial is only for Sony Xperia Z3 devices running Lollipop 5.1.1
Compatible Xperia Z5 models are listed below:
Before you start, please check if your Xperia Z3 is supported by going to Settings/About Phone.
• Xperia Z3 bootloader must be unlocked. This tutorial shows how to do it.
• Device should have at least 60% charge left on the battery.
• USB Debugging and OEM unlock must be enabled. Go to Settings/About/Software Information/More and keep tapping on Build number until you see that Developer options was enabled. Then go to Settings/Developer Options and check both, USB Debugging and OEM unlock.
• Skip driver installation if you have completed our bootloader unlock tutorial and/or if you have PC Companion installed on PC. If not, then go ahead and install adb drivers. It’s recommended to restart your PC after installation is complete.
- Using PC download bootZ3monxtest01.img recovery file and place it in ADB and Fastboot drivers folder.
- Turn off the device.
- Press and hold volume up (+) button while connecting your Xperia Z3 with your PC. Led notification light should turn to blue.
- On PC open cmd window: holding shift key, right click on empty space in ADB and Fastboot drivers folder and choose Open command window here.
- On cmd window type fastboot devices then press enter.
- You should get a serial number approving that device is properly connected into fastboot mode. If not, try to connect cable to another PC USB port or reinstall the drivers.
- Now flash recovery using the following command:
fastboot flash boot bootZ3monxtest01.img
- After it’s done, reboot device by typing:
That’s it! To boot your device into TWRP recovery open cmd and type adb reboot recovery then hit enter.
To do it manually, turn off Xperia then press power button to turn it on. Right after Sony logo appears, keep pressing volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously until device vibrates.
Other way to boot into TWRP recovery without any specific buttons combination is to use Quick Boot app.
- Download SuperSU-v2.46.zip file straight to mobile device.
- Boot Xperia Z3 into TWRP recovery as written above.
- In recovery menu tap on Install and look for superuser.zip file.
- Tap on it and swipe to flash.
- After flash is complete tap on Reboot and choose System.
- Phone will reboot and you should find SuperSU app on the screen.